Ditch the can and get out the pan – homemade baked beans, here I am! One of the cool things about
making your own baked beans is that you decide what ingredients go in the pot. Using ultra-nutritious cannellini beans also means you retain bionic (super) powers for hours after you’ve eaten them!
- Dash of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- Ground pepper for seasoning
- 2 x 425gm tins of cannellini beans, drained
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- Five-grain bread for toast
- In an electric fry pan, heat oil over a medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and pepper.
- Cook until onion is soft and starts to look clear. Keep stirring.
- Drain beans in a colander in the sink, and add to pan with ½ cup water.
- Simmer until beans have softened. If beans are not soft after 7 minutes, add ¼ cup more water and keep cooking.
- Add maple syrup, tomato puree, mustard powder and another ½ cup water.
- Simmer until sauce has thickened, then season to taste with a few rounds of ground pepper.
- Serve with toast, using cookie cutters to make interesting shapes.