Gnudi is a variation of gnocchi with no or very little flour. Often served with butter and sage, I like baking them in homemade tomato sauce instead because it’s lower in fat.
This recipe is healthy, gluten free, simple to make, and absolutely delicious! You need to use firm ricotta otherwise the mixture tends to be a bit soft. Otherwise you can add breadcrumbs or flour to the mixture to make it firmer, but of course then it won’t be gluten free any more.
500gm firm ricotta
50gm Parmesan, grated
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, finely sliced
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 x 400gm tin crushed tomatoes
salt and pepper
- In a hot pan, wilt the spinach with a few tablespoons of water and transfer to a tray to cool.
- Once it’s cool enough to handle, squeeze out all excess moisture with your hands and chop the spinach finely.
- Mix together the spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, eggs and nutmeg and salt and pepper until well combined.
- Roll heaped dessertspoon amounts of the mixture into balls.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the tomato paste and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the tinned tomatoes, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce into a greased ovenproof dish and space the ricotta balls evenly on top.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes at 180°C.
- Serve with a simple green salad and crunchy bread.
Print Recipe HERE >>
More about Matt HERE >>